A brochure named Xiamen Hand-drawn Map has selected 50 ancient classic buildings in Xiamen, Fujian province, after one-year’s investigation from its compliers. They are large and have exquisite designs, and are mainly old private residences with a history going back over 60 years. Xiamen’s traditional architecture is always located in the old urban areas and far away from the modern and busy streets. Some of them lack of repairs but still retain their historical and cultural charms. The best way to get into the Xiamen memories is to walk down the old streets and lanes.
Xiahe Area

Four Seasons Garden at No 58, Shuanglianchi Street
No. 58 Shuang Lianchi Street, or the Four Seasons Garden, was built in 1933.
The western-style villa with a big garden is composed of a three-storey main building, a two-storey annex building and a single-storey building.
It covers a total of two mus (1,333 square meters) of land and was second to none in its architectural scale at that time in Xiamen.
It is now privately owned. Though it has been out of repair for a long time, the charm of the building still remains.

No 59, Danxiagong Lane
No.59, Danxiagong Lane is a western-style house built in 1933. The building covers a large area and the layout is well designed.
The enclosing wall is beautifully decorated. The standing column is simple but decent, and the handrail is unique. The building gives people a sense of height with vertically laid out paintings.
Baijiacun Area

East Asia Development Board at No 42, Shentianlu Road
The semi-detached house is located in the southwest of Xiamen island. It used to be called the East Asia Development Board Xiamen liaison office, the most authoritative institute during the Japanese reign in Xiamen from 1939 to 1942.
After the victory of the Chinese Resistance War against Japanese Aggression (1937-1945), the building was changed into the office for Xiamen Court. After the War of Liberation (1946-49), it evolved into the building of Xiamen’s Municipal Committee.
After the Cultural Revolution (1966-76), the governmental department moved and it turned into the advertising department of Xiamen Daily.
It has been selected by the local authority as one of two preserved historical buildings in Baijiacun village.

Guanjiaxuan Building at No 44, Shentianlu Road
Built by a Chinese Filipino, the creamy beige building is built in a Scandinavian style. A dragon stone sculpture is a vestige from the Qing Dynasty’s (1644-1911) royal palace. Due to its modern construction, the house was severely damaged. It has been selected by the local authority as one of two preserved historical buildings in Baijiacun village.

No 49, Shentianlu Road
It is now a private residence.

No 84, Gongyuan East Road
The villa was previously owned by a family surnamed Hu, and is now rented out for business.

No 40, Zhongxing Road
The redbrick house was owned by Chen Xingji (1895-1982), a patriotic overseas Chinese. He was originally from Yongchun county, Fujian Province. Chen made a fortune in Indonesia by farming and in the hardware industry. In the 1920s he bought the two-floor house at No 40, Zhongxing Road in Xiamen, and reconstructed it to a four-floor residence in 1936. After the establishment of the People’s Republic of China in 1949, the building was used as a gathering place for overseas Chinese. Now it is rented out for commercial use.

No 46 and 48, Dongmen Road
The redbrick house on No. 46 Dongmenlu Road and No. 48 Dongmenglu Road are well preserved and similarly designed. The facades of the two buildings are hidden behind the Xinmin market and the rear sides face the road. They are now owned by the local government.

No 37, Shentian Road
It is now a private residence.

No 4, Shentian Road
The building was previously used as a seat for the Chinese People's Volunteer Army condolatory group. Outside the building there was a horse farm. Nowadays it is rented out for commercial use.

No 70, Baijiacun Road
All residents have moved out from the building, because the house has been appraised as a dilapidated building. It covers the whole area of the block, and the rear has been reconstructed. People can still appreciate its old luxury from the existing beautifully decorated gate and rockery.